Fresh Mint?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
fine66

Fresh Mint?

Post by fine66 »

I am asking for help in locating fresh mint, on the north shore would be very helpful but will pick up from south shore also. I have been asked to serve mint juleps at a charity function on Sunday the 14th - the bourbon and simple syrup is no problem as it is being donated, but I do not have a herb garden. If anyone can help me in locating maybe a gallon zip bag of fresh mint, it would help me out. If you would like to know more about the charity visit http://www.newheightstherapy.org
hungryone

Re: Fresh Mint?

Post by hungryone »

I'd love to help, but the long, dry October wasn't kind to my mint patch (it lives beneath a huge oak, so it has quite a bit of competition for water). Try contacting the NO Botanical Garden; I strolled thru it last weekend and saw lots of mint in the edible garden area. Maybe they'll make a donation to a good cause.
fine66

Post by fine66 »

Hungryone - thanks for the info about the NO Botanical Garden, I gave them a call but the person that could answer me was not in this afternoon - I will try calling again in the morning. Someone on another board also gave me a heads up about Hong Kong market on the west bank usually has a lot of herbs. It depends on what answers I get from the botanical garden, I may have to go and see what is available. Of course I am hoping the garden (or any good samaritan) will do a donation to a very worthy organization.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Fine66, you gave me a couple of ideas that might help you!

You could contact one of the Vietnamese Restaurants & see if they would like to make a donation of mint.

Or you could go to the Vietnamese early morning 6am Farmer's Market in N.O. East. Surely they would have tons of mint.

However, to save you time & trouble, a Vietnamese Restaurant would be a good bet.

Anna @ 9 Roses is a doll.
Tell her you got the tip from one of the food forums from me.
(I don't know if that will help, but I think it might not hurt!)

Hoa Hong 9
1100 Stephens Street
Gretna, LA 70053-3725
(504) 366-7665
Open Mon-Tue,Thu,Sun 10:30am-9:30pm; Fri-Sat 10:30am-10pm