Sunday on the beach in Tulum

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Sunday on the beach in Tulum

Post by willifred »

I had a really good time this past Sunday at the beach down here. My oldest aquaintance is one of the local Mayan Healers I met during 9/11. Her name is Lili. She's pretty far out, but one of the kindest people I know. Sunday afternoons she has a Jam session at her place. This time we cooked chiccharones. It was so much fun. They were huge. Maybe a foot by two or so. We cooked them in sort of an industrial wok with a flat bottom. As soon as they turned golden we yanked them out and salted them heavily, and hung them up an a clothesline to drain. They had several types of fresh chilles that they ground up with salt and vinegar....you started mild and worked your way up the heat ladder.By the end you were on fire, but you couldn't stop.
The crowd was pretty much the cast from the Mexicans lined up applying to be bad guys in Blazing Saddles....One guy was a really good guitar player....the rest of us just picked up something and beat on it. I had 2 rusted out solar lights.They were drinking beers and shooting really really cheap white rum, smoking pot about as bad....it was a blast
Oyster

Re: Sunday on the beach in Tulum

Post by Oyster »

Interesting! I caught Rick Bayless' show on WYES few weeks back where he was in Mexico, and he showed the enormous chiccharones being prepared by the street vendors. Even hung them up as yours were. Looked very interesting! Made me wish I was there for a taste! The party sounds really fun!

Great posts from south of the border!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I'll bet those were fantastic. I've had them at Pupuseria Divino Corazon in Gretna, mostly used as a garnish for various things there. I wish I could find some of the larger ones.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
willifred

Post by willifred »

Jeeves wrote:I'll bet those were fantastic. I've had them at Pupuseria Divino Corazon in Gretna, mostly used as a garnish for various things there. I wish I could find some of the larger ones.
Try the union supermarket....pretty much Williams and W. Esplanade...that would be your best bet I know of....