My dinner tonight in Mexico

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

My dinner tonight in Mexico

Post by willifred »

I just had a fantastic meal in Tulum MX. We are literally the only people in the place. I'm actually making this post while talking to the owners. We had REAL Spanish Serrano ham, and Real Roncal cheese, and Spanish sausage. and a wonderful paella, fantastic Spanish wines, a fantastic baked sweet cheese for dessert, Brandy and coffee, Rum, Tequila, and we are continuing as we speak......
Jerry

Re: My dinner tonight in Mexico

Post by Jerry »

Who are you?
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

and where were you? Tulum has lots of offerings for good eats.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
willifred

Post by willifred »

Last nights post was a blast. Sorry if I was random. We have been coming down to Tulum for about 12 years now, and have some good friends that have restaurants. Our German friends that own a place called Azafran (saffron) introduced us to a new couple that has moved here from Barcelona. they got tired of the city and decided to drop off the grid. Their little place is called La Gloria de Don Pepe. It only has about 5 or 6 tables. We were the only people they had last night (it's shoulder season).
We started with bread that had been toasted and rubbed with tomatoe and garlic, then topped with Jabon Iberico 5 Belotas (Pata Negro). It was the real thing...I saw the label. It was the Joselito Brand....best I know of unless you pay to have it done privately for you. Anywhere from 3 to 5 grand a leg.
Then we had an odd thing that was kind of like head cheese, but not really. It was forcemeat that had been mixed with lots of piminton and spices into a "paste". This was put on top of mashed potatoes, topped with cheese and broiled. The oil from the meat bled down into thew potatoes, making them look like sweet potatoes. Made them really eye appealing.
Then another slice of bread with a small hot Spanish sausage that I have seen in Spain, but can't remember the name, topped with a soft Quail egg. Really good. I love quail eggs, and don't see them very often.
Then came the Paella. Chicken, shrimp, squid, etc... the thing about this one was the deep , rich taste without it being particularly highly seasoned (hot). The stock was very flavorful, and would have been a shame to cover it with too much heat.
After that we had Roncal cheese, which will make the best Manchego I've ever had pale in comparision. The had smuggled it into the country in their luggage with the ham...thank you customs for not catching on.
Next was a simple but nice dessert that I thought was creme caramel or so, but turned out to be sweetened marazcapone and goat cheese blended, topped with sugar and fired to make a crust. I can't wait to do this at home, it was just right as far as being sweet but not too sweet.
Coffee with brandy, a shot of tequila on the side, then 7 year old Havana Club Rum.
We had a Vina Godeval Spanish white, and a Numanthia red that we carried in, and another red that they supplied with the Roncal.
that probably covers the night.....all tolled they charged us 300 pesos and the exchange rate is 12.5/1....do the math....it was one of the cheapest good meals I have ever experienced.....I'm going back tomorrow night for his version of a lamb dinner...I'm taking the wines and Flowers for his wife....can't wait.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Wish I was there with you, Willifred!
It all sounds very lovely & I could use a really nice excursion to Tulum just about now.

You've hit on a real gem, hope you have quite a few more days left to your trip!
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

willifred wrote: We had REAL Spanish Serrano ham, and Real Roncal cheese, and Spanish sausage. and a wonderful paella, fantastic Spanish wines, a fantastic baked sweet cheese for dessert, Brandy and coffee, Rum, Tequila, and we are continuing as we speak......
So is Mexico the new Spain, or am I misunderstanding?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
willifred

Post by willifred »

flyinbayou wrote:So is Mexico the new Spain, or am I misunderstanding?
Nah...I've been coming down here for 10 or 12 years. It was just interesting to be introduced to this couple that happened to be from Barcelona since I was just there. They are retired and love to cook , so they opened a little place. It would be so easy to be a foodie if you had access to La Boqueria in Barcelona...best big market I've ever been to, but I still love the little one in Biarritz the most. I had lunch with my friends from Germany today....House cured salmon and homemade bagels. Same deal for them. They got tired of the big city (Berlin) and dropped off the grid.
There are several interesting people down here. My friend Sergio is from Argentina, moved here and opened a little steakhouse....Another guy from Italy makes pizzas and bakes bread....Chang is Thai and has a little hole in the wall called the Thai Wok.
The local food is good also....Mayan, not the typical Mexican or Tex Mex we're used to. Lots of Lamb and goat cooked in the ground and such, as well as pork.
In my limited travels, Spain is the most interesting place I've been because of the absolute demand from top to bottom for quality in everything. My future hope is to get to Asia, but that's down the road.
Sorry if I come across like a prick, but I though this was a board to discuss food and dining....
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

No doubt you have made many on this board jealous!
Happy for you!
Keep the reports up!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
buzd

Post by buzd »

willifred wrote:
Sorry if I come across like a prick, but I though this was a board to discuss food and dining....
You didn't, and all of that food sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Actually, I think this is just about the best post in quite a few months.

Thanks for the great post! Look forward to more...