Madrid

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Madrid

Post by willifred »

I had dinner at Madrid on Harrison a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted to love it, but it left me wondering why I didn't enjoy it more. I started with mussels. They were somewhat overcooked and rubbery and the chorizo was very overcooked. The sauce was quite good, but the dish just fell flat. I followed the mussels with the lamb shank. I wanted the rabbit, but they were out. To put it bluntly, the shank had been sitting around for a good long while. It had no "freshness" to it. I realize that it was cooked for a very long while, as it should be, but this was more like it had been leftover from the day before. It didn't seem like the other things in the presentation were well thought out either. Just kind of a mishmash of stuff that was just one big glob. I know there were potatoes in there, but pretty much anything was unrecognizable. This really breaks my heart, because this is exactly the kind of place that draws me in. Out of the way...you got to know to go.(Kind of like Cafe Navarre I mentioned in another post). Don't really know if I'll try again.
Isabella Maja

Re: Madrid

Post by Isabella Maja »

I was thinking about going, but now, I dunno.
Let's hear from some others who have dined at Madrid, please!

This is my old neighborhood & I'd like to support the businesses there.
jodyrah

Re: Madrid

Post by jodyrah »

I've been numerous times. Think a more refined, pricier Lola's. Tomato bread is delicious, but nothing you can't throw together at home (garlic laden bruschetta, chopped tomatoes topped with serrano). Ditto for the tasty garlic shrimp, sauteed in oil/garlic. The seafood/pasta dish is a huge portion in a flavorful red sauce. Paella is mildly seasoned. The gazpacho was a tad bitter the only time I had it. Mussels are "ok". My son had the rabbit and found it a bit sweet, probably from the carrots. We tried softshell and fish specials, both disappointing. We ask for everything to be prepared extra spicy, also bringing minced chilis for sprinkling (when we remember). Service can be very slow. We always carry an extra bottle of wine to pass the interlude.