Mona's vs Lebanon Cafe

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Mona's vs Lebanon Cafe

Post by willifred »

I am a big fan of Lebanon Cafe, so I know I am biased. But last Monday I was picking up some things at Mona's on Banks St. I like to shop there because they have the canned Italian tuna that I like. Capers,olives etc....So I said why not and had lunch. I ordered the lula sandwich, which I really like at LC. Mona's came out literally with one skimpy slice /piece of meat, a bunch of lettuce, wrapped around the pita. LC's usually has several pieces of meat, lettuce, and the bread is smeared with houmus. There was no comparison between the two. Long ago, before I was turned on to LC, I used to eat at Mona's alot. It is but 3 minutes from my door, but this confirms (for me) driving down Carrollton Ave. is well worth the effort.
hungryone

Re: Mona's vs Lebanon Cafe

Post by hungryone »

I went into the Carrollton Ave Mona's a few months ago (I was already parked at a meter on Oak & I didn't feel like moving my car). Eek--that place has zero atmosphere--it was like eating in a dingy, 1970s basement rec room. Woodgrain formica tables, no decor to speak of, sticky menu...just icky all around. Granted, it's a few bucks less expensive than Cafe Lebanon; I guess if you're a poor college student it might matter. But I certainly won't go back to that location...
peychaud

Post by peychaud »

I think Mona's has taken a nosedive in quality and consistency. For a restaurant that started out as a pita bakery, it's unbelievable how many times we've been served cold, stale pitas. Lebanon has them beat in terms of service, atmosphere and food by a pretty significant margin.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Hands down, no question about it, Lebanon's wins & has for quite a number of years in my book.

The canned Italian tuna - tell me more! What other groceries do you buy at Mona's. I can resist eating there without hesitation! Swore it off years ago when I found Lebanon.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

I go there to Mona's buy labne, sumac, cardamom pods and Jordan almonds, but they have lots of interesting Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods. I haven't tried Lebanon's but may head over this weekend for some chicken Lula (my favorite platter at Mona's) Do they serve beer/wine? My husband's main issue with Mona's is no beer!
willifred

Post by willifred »

DivaKitty wrote:I go there to Mona's buy labne, sumac, cardamom pods and Jordan almonds, but they have lots of interesting Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods. I haven't tried Lebanon's but may head over this weekend for some chicken Lula (my favorite platter at Mona's) Do they serve beer/wine? My husband's main issue with Mona's is no beer!
Lebanon cafe is byob....very open policy, no corkage fee for wine, obviously not for beer....take yours and enjoy. I highly recommend the Bethanjan Dip to start.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Thanks Willifred! I'll try it.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

DivaKitty wrote:I go there to Mona's buy labne, sumac, cardamom pods and Jordan almonds, but they have lots of interesting Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods. I haven't tried Lebanon's but may head over this weekend for some chicken Lula (my favorite platter at Mona's) Do they serve beer/wine? My husband's main issue with Mona's is no beer!
I love Lula, but Lebanon doesn't have Chicken Lula.

The only thing on the menu I would not recommend is the lamb shish kabob or hummus with lamb& only because the lamb is a bit tough. I may be repeating myself here. I haven't had it in a while, but I think I'd get one of the other million menu items rather than risk it.

The lamb chops are wonderful! And so is the Lula. I second the Bathenjan.

One of my favorite things to get is the following:

Bathenjan (sub Labna for Tzatsiki)

Eggplant Sandwich (lettuce on the side - trust me on this) + feta
Lula Kabob plate w/hummus & salad (turn salad into a fatoush + feta)

We share this & have enough leftovers for lunch the next day.

I do ask for some homemade hot sauce on the side for the eggplant sandwich.

I like to put some Bathenjan on Eggplant Sandwich & a piece or two of Lula.