I need suggestions

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Great Danish

I need suggestions

Post by Great Danish »

I have booked a house for one night next week in order to meet our son's girl friend. It appears a bit serious (he is 25 and a senior at Texas A&M). I want this to go well and make her feel comfortable. The house is fully equipped with all the kitchen and grill/patio needs. The problem comes in two ways - 1)- the girl friend is gluten and dairy allergic and 2) I would like to prepare as much of it in advance as possible so I do not spend the whole visit in the kitchen.... I figure we will grill out something and I thought I may make Italian potatoes which marinade over night to take with us. I am in a quandary about everything else....any advice from my friends here? As always – your help is appreciated.

Jen
Never for money
Always for love ,Cover up & say goodnight
dragongrrl

Re: I need suggestions

Post by dragongrrl »

Whole Foods has great crackers, flours, cookies, cakes and mixes that are gluten free. The best bread is called Canyon Bakehouse and is at the end of the bakery aisle in a bread rack.

You have to read all labels. If a product is processed in a place that also processes wheat, it should say so on the label and should be avoided.

Beer is out unless you get Redbridge or some other gluten free beer from Whole Foods. Some groceries have it. I've found it at Rouses at times.

General Mills has come out with a line of gf products. They have a gf Bisquick that is very good. Rouses often has it.

If she visits again Casamento's fried seafood is gluten free.
Now this is more like it.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Oh and if you're going to make a cake or brownies, go with Betty Crocker's gluten free mixes. They are MUCH better than anything at Whole Food in that particular area. Hope this helps.
Now this is more like it.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Your son knows her well I'm sure, ask him what she usually eats. He may have a great deal of insight for you.

Not sure where the house is, in LA or TX? If you are visiting where they live you can also inquire where they go to dine etc

Im sure your effort will be certainly appreciated.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Think asian: rice paper wrappers are gluten free, so you could make some salad rolls & a peanut dipping sauce. Same goes for thai-style rice noodle dishes (who doesn't love a good pad thai?) Or, if you want to put a local flavor on the meet-n-greet, why not jambalaya? Rice is her (and thus your) friend. While you can't make it ahead, you can do the prep work ahead and simply cook it day-of.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

Boil some shrimp for remoulade or cocktail, blanch asparagus, wrap 3 to a bundle in prosciutto, grill with some steaks from Rare Cuts to go with your potatoes. Brocato gelato for dessert.
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Lots of options, just keep to starches like potatoes, corn or beans. Fresh meats, fruits and vegetables are all good. All grains have some gluten but most folks with Celiac disease can tolerate things like rice, nuts, corn and soy. Steer clear of prepacked foods and condiments as ingredients like caramel coloring and
"other seasonings" can cause symptoms. Most commercial soy sauce is off limits because it usually contains some wheat. They do make wheat free tamari though. Beer is out, but some ciders, wine and most liquor, actually, is ok. Stay away from mixers like Coke & ginger ale, but seltzer, 7-up and juices should be alright. Check the labels. Opt for sorbets vs. gelato for the dairy thing, or try some of the other dairy free options... some are really good. Whatever you do... stay away from soy cheese... it just tastes bad!
Great Danish

Post by Great Danish »

Thanks for all the great help everyone! I have rented a nice house in College Station and we are looking forward to our visit. I am planning my menu for dinner that night and brunch the following morning. So far I think for apps we will have shrimp cocktail, using Alton Brown's cocktail sauce recipe and Texas caviar and chips. I figured we would play it safe and grill some chicken, have a spinach/bacon salad and my Italian potato salad. I found a great flourless chocolate cake recipe and plan to have several kinds of nice fresh fruit. Our son has informed me that she loves Margaritas, so we are good to go there. I am still trying to come up with something fun for brunch though….we do so want to make a good first impression here…LOL – he is head over heels!!!:toast: Thanks again.

Jen
Never for money
Always for love ,Cover up & say goodnight