Cafe Navarre

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Cafe Navarre

Post by willifred »

I had breakfast a few days ago at Cafe Navarre. Same people that have Riccobono's on Panola St. I like going there (Riccobono's), but the crowd usually turns me away some days. This place (Navarre) is so out of the way, I doubt a crowd will ever do that to me there. I've got to say it was quite good! Not the very best in the world, but compared to say, Huevos on Banks (also a crowd problem), I think I liked it better. Don't get me wrong. I understand places are busy because they are good, but I ain't standing in line at Jaques I Moes when other places are just as good if not better without the hassle.... The biscuits were the real thing, reason enough for me to go there. Very light and fluffy. The rest was pretty standard stuff. Pancakes looked promising. The guy next to me had the breakfast poboy. It will be my next order. Also, I've been told they have a really good Cuban sandwich. Anybody else have any experience here?
BobRSnow

Re: Cafe Navarre

Post by BobRSnow »

I like the atmosphere. Been there once. Very good Cuban Sandwich. Pretty cool neighborhood joint.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Having never realized they did breakfast-- last time I was there it was still Weaver's-- we tried it for a late Sunday morning breakfast. The OP's assessment fairly well sums it up-- good food at a good price. I had one of the Eggs Benedicts with hash browns, which were more in the style of plain home fries-- crisp outside, and not a bit greasy; the missus had some menu special breakfast conglomeration she thought was quite good, especially the jalapeno-infused grits that came with. Didn't get to try the biscuits-- they were out of them and the mix to make them. It took three tries for the guy behind us in line to understand they were out-- I don't think he wanted to believe it. So they must be good. The service model is order at the counter, pay, self-serve your beverages, and pick up at the window when your number is called. I understand the proprietress is the Riccobono's daughter.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
allez

Post by allez »

This is my neighborhood poboy shop and I eat there 3-4 times a month. As you say it's not the greatest, but it is very good. The breakfast is solid. The omelettes are filled to the brim instead of just a sprinkling of extras (I like my omelettes with lots of stuff in em). The poboys are also very good. They have an excellent bbq shrimp poboy special on Fridays, and my favorite menu item is the fried green tomato poboy with bacon and remoulade. Good stuff.