Attention Big Green Eggs Fans!

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Attention Big Green Eggs Fans!

Post by ratcheese »

What a fun piece of nostalgia!

We watched the classic movie THE GRADUATE this weekend and guess what, they are cooking on Big Green Eggs in the movie! I am still stoked about seeing those cookers used as movie props way back in 1967! It was awesome!

Of course I'm using BGE as a generic term, but they were same thing. It looked as if they may have added some chrome for movie effects, but there they were, sure as hell. They looked very spiffy, indeed. I will have to re-watch that scene, but my initial impression was that they looked even better than the ones we see today.

Movie buffs might remember that Dustin Hoffman's character, Ben Braddock, was staying with his affluent parents in California following his graduation; they have a beautiful backyard, prototypical California, big pool, lush greenery, and they are having a party. Ben's mom is first seen flipping burgers on a small BGE. That scene last a while and the BGE can be clearly seen as a central prop,

The camera pans around the yard and a large BGE can be seen not far from the little one she is cooking on. They both are set up on very tall legs.

I'm not sure which was more fun, seeing a classic film hold up that well over time, or seeing the BGE's way back in the day being used as cool ass movie props. Great soundtrack, too.
Jerry

Re: Attention Big Green Eggs Fans!

Post by Jerry »

The shape and concept have been around for a while in Asian markets....were they really BGE brands?

As a related note, Bassil's Hardware on Transcontinental is opening a Green Egg and Grilling showroom next door to the hardware store.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

And...my favorite prop in the movie...the sweet Alfa Romeo Spider that he drove to the BBQ with the BGE!

Alfa actually went on to produce a model named "The Graduate" as their entry level Spider.

Alfa Romeo vivere` a lungo!
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

I saw stills from the film on the BGE forum--isn't the movie version blue and not green?
RE: Bassil's....not such a fan. If you want to buy a BGE on the Southshore, I highly recommend Contractor's Discount Appliance Sales on Albany in Kenner. Good to great prices, excellent customer service, and CDA delivers. No lugging the heavy BGE home--they will deliver & assemble it at your house. CDA delivered my large & assembled it & threw in some freebies, all at a price several hundred cheaper than other dealers in the area wanted for pickup.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Jerry wrote:The shape and concept have been around for a while in Asian markets....were they really BGE brands?

As a related note, Bassil's Hardware on Transcontinental is opening a Green Egg and Grilling showroom next door to the hardware store.
No Jerry, I can almost assure you they were not actual BGE's. I regularly use BGE as a generic term--probably laziness, but it seems easier than saying Kimono cooker,
or whatever the accurate term would be.

The exterior of the cooker was smooth and they had a good bit of stainless steel that gave them a chrome look. Very tall legs, also, which I liked a lot. Ben's mom was cooking on the small one without bending over--probably waist high. Nice looking units.