Katie Bar The Door?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Low-N-Slow

Katie Bar The Door?

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Or, rather, "barred" the door. After hearing my barber rave about the oyster poboys at Koz's in Lakeview, we decided to give them a try Saturday, even though we were aware the likelihood of getting oysters period-- let alone superb ones-- was slim, given the oil spill situation. Then someone mentioned that the water was off all over Lakeview that day, so we went to a fallback plan of Katie's. Got there right before noon, got a parking spot right in front, only to find they are no longer open for lunch on Saturdays! :eek: What's up with that? We've been there a half dozen times on Saturdays since they reopened, and the place has ended up packed before we finished eating each time. Hard to believe the decision was made due to lack of business. We did see, however, that the current hours include Sunday brunch. :hmm:

We wound up going to LBTT, who also had just run out of oysters. So we had a Reuben and a hot grilled chicken club sandwich; both very tasty. On the way back, we drove by Koz's-- they were open.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Jeeves

Re: Katie Bar The Door?

Post by Jeeves »

Well, that sucks. Saturday lunch at Katie's was like Mid City reunion day.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

Jeeves wrote:Well, that sucks. Saturday lunch at Katie's was like Mid City reunion day.
I asked about that at Sunday brunch yesterday. They said, reasonably to me, that they need one day a week dark. So they traded days. It looked like a Mid-City reunion to me. Maybe people just switch days.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Thanks, Jonathan. Sunday brunch is a good trade.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Katie's has been a go-to for us the last couple of months. We went maybe four days ago and had a fantastic oyster appetizer--fried oysters on some brie cheese and spinach. They had a delicious flavor. They were served in oyster shells, and the kitchen had put several in each shell because they were small.

They have incredible pizza also if you've never tried it.

My wife and I are getting in a habit of Katie's for dinner and Brocato's for dessert...a real Mid-City night.
buzd

Post by buzd »

LiveOak wrote:
They have incredible pizza also if you've never tried it.
The pizza was hit or miss when they opened, but they've really gotten it down. The cochon du lait pizza (Boudreaux, I think) is awesome. Thursday is pizza night - any pizza $10, and any bottle of wine $20 (at least as of a few weeks ago).

My SO loves the wedge salad. Homemade roquefort dressing and bacon crumbles. Very fresh.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

....We did see, however, that the current hours include Sunday brunch. :hmm:

Their web site needs to be updated with regard to the hours, so get your current info here.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Found out yesterday that Katie's is back open for lunch Saturdays. Was told it (being closed) was a "summer thing".
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
JRO

Post by JRO »

Thursday night pizza special. Very good pizza, bread pudding was outstanding
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

I'm going to amend my earlier post in this thread. The food is still very good, but we went recently and it just happened to be pizza night. After over an hour we had nothing at the table, and when we flagged our waiter he showed up with part of our order. It was one of our pizzas and had been severely burned on the bottom and was inedible. It was clear they had somehow forgotten our order. Tables that came in twenty minutes after us managed to get their pizzas. We had our two year old with us who by that time was starving and not in a good mood (I spent the entire time outside with her patiently waiting and occupying her so we would not bother other diners), and we actually left without eating.