Epicurious Recipe App for iPhone, Android

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Low-N-Slow

Epicurious Recipe App for iPhone, Android

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Contains a database of currently over 28,000 recipes. After a download glitch, and a re-install, it seems to be working properly. The main screen gives some broad categories (Weeknight Dinners, Cool Cocktails, Healthy Lunches, I Can Barely Cook, I Cook Like a Pro, and others). Search allows you to filter by main ingredient, meal/course, cuisine, dietary consideration and more in order to narrow things down. Individual recipes have photos and reviews, as well as stats like percent of reviewers who say they would make the recipe again. Choosing main ingredient chicken, and cuisine Cajun/Creole returned 22 recipes. You can save recipes to a shopping list, in order to have what you need to buy readily at hand. Recipes are sourced from Gourmet and Bon Appétit, "plus web-exclusive recipes from renowned chefs and cookbook authors". And it's free.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
crrush

Re: Epicurious Recipe App for iPhone, Android

Post by crrush »

I have this App and use it relatively often -- more so than I thought I would. I seem to use it most when I'm grocery shopping and see an awesome ingredient or think of a dish I suddenly want to eat. I'll skim a few recipes on it to make sure I have everything I need. It's a handy little tool, and you can't beat free.

By comparison, I also forked out $5 for Michael Ruhlman's Ratio app...and have never used it. It's more a testament to the way I cook (give me the gist, not a formula) than of the app's usefulness.