Greece

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
TulaneRebel

Greece

Post by TulaneRebel »

Going to Greece in August. Yes, I know it will be hot and crowded. Any food or activity recs for Mykonos, Santorini, and Athens are appreciated.
nolagirl

Re: Greece

Post by nolagirl »

Jealous! I know you'll have a wonderful time. The food is fabulous. I haven't been in the last several years so I don't have any specifics to suggest, but I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in Greece. Wonderful seafood -- fish, squid, shellfish, etc. Fresh and grilled -- so simple, so perfect, so delicious. Classic Greek salads. Amazing lamb. Incredible desserts/pastries. Coffee, yogurt, fruit. Wine. YUM. And wonderful people, amazing sights, history everywhere, great beaches, breathtaking views. . . . Good times -- enjoy!
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

Can't help you much since I haven't been in a long time either. But unless things have changed drastically, I'd skip Athens entirely and head straight to the islands. If you've never been to Greece, then I'd amend that to, see the Acropolis, then head straight to the islands. Mind you, I took five years of Latin/Classics in secondary school so I was all over places like Delphi, Olympia, Sparta, etc. and loved it. Nothing like standing in the original Olympic stadium if you're a sports fan. But that stuff is snooze-ville for a lot of Americans.

I am sure you are aware that a lot of Europe goes on vacation in August, so not only is hot and crowded, but every obnoxious drunk party boy/girl seems to descend on places like the Spanish and Greek islands. If party is what you're after, you'll have a great time and just follow the crowd for the food. If you'd like something a bit less frenetic, you might try one of the smaller islands. Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor have pretty good forums on the European destinations, in general. Send us a trip report and kαλό ταξίδι (bon voyage)!
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Gourmondo wrote:Mind you, I took five years of Latin/Classics in secondary school ...
Another fine Jesuit education might I surmise?
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:Another fine Jesuit education might I surmise?
very close!....Episcopalian...I don't think we had to kneel as long as you guys...
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Memories!

Cute hotel.
What to drink.
Attachments
Jen In Greece 048.jpg
Jen In Greece 046.jpg
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."