Cherry Blossom Sushi in Kenner

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
globe9

Cherry Blossom Sushi in Kenner

Post by globe9 »

Have just recently noticed this place on Veterans in Kenner. It's in a strip mall and I believe it used to be some kind of pizza place(I think the Pizza Connection, but I could be wrong).

Was excited when I saw it, but it wasn't open yet. I hear it is now open and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet? They have a small website: http://www.cbsushi.com/ and it does have the menu. It looks good, but ya never know.

I am happy to see another sushi restaurant in this area of Kenner b/c it was really lacking of good sushi. I used to like Fuji Sushi(next to Casa Garcia) when it first opened up, but the quality has gone severely down hill IMO and so we've stopped going, which is a shame b/c the people there were super nice.
We've tried the Sushi/Hibachi place on Williams once and weren't impressed, so we've never been back.

Kyoto 2 is our go to when we have to have sushi near us, but if this Cherry Blossom is any good, we'll have another on the list. And they deliver too!
globe9

Re: Cherry Blossom Sushi in Kenner

Post by globe9 »

Well, the GF and I wanted sushi for dinner tonight, so I thought we'd give Cherry Blossom a try.

It's on Vets, close to Williams in a strip mall on the southside of Veterans(across Vets from the Sonic and where the Fat Hen Grill used to be.)

They did a fantastic job remodeling the place. It looked great! It wasn't very busy, just 3 other couples. The server, who seemed inexperienced, was very eager to please and was very nice.

He first brought us a complimentary California Roll....a grand opening special. I'm not a fan of these, but the GF said it was good and the portion size was above average.

I ordered a house salad--basic salad with ginger dressing. They used too much dressing for the size of the salad, but I find this to be the case with most sushi places I've tried. It was a very good dressing though.

Next I had the New Orleans roll, which was spicy tuna, cream cheese, tempura flakes, a spicy mayo'ish sauce and topped with fresh tuna. This was actually VERY good IMO. It was a unique blend of flavors and the tuna was very fresh. This roll was large with 8 pieces and only $8.99---much cheaper than most sushi restaurants that usually charge about $11 or $12 for such a roll.

I also had a Dynamite Roll, which was also very good.

The GF had a Veterans roll, which was shrimp, crabstick, and avocado topped with salmon and smelt roe. She said it was good. She also got a Philadelphia Roll, which she said was very good....she LOVES salmon LOL

The portion sizes of the rolls was very good. They were quite large for the price and all ingredients were fresh. The waiter kept our iced teas refilled and checked on us regularly.

Overall, I'd say that I was pleasantly surprised. It's not Kanno or Ninja, but for a good, affordable sushi place in the West Metairie/Kenner area I'd not hesitate to recommend Cherry Blossom.

We'll continue to visit this restaurant and hopefully they will only improve(instead of declining as Fuji Sushi has done).

P.S. They offer delivery!! :)
nola5o4

Post by nola5o4 »

I really enjoy the sushi there also. My wife and I went there a couple of days ago. We really enjoy the cherry blossom roll. It’s a very big for just 11 dollars. We also had the sashimi salad (fish was very fresh) . The service is great! We had a girl server and she was very sweet and courteous of everything. She also asked us to critique the food and listen to everything we had to say instead of letting things go through one ear and out the other. Later on, one of the sushi chefs that we discover that was making our salad came over to talk to us. He was very sweet. We will definitely come back again very soon. So we highly recommend anyone who enjoys sushi in kenner to come try this little spot!
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Globe. I remember you going to Saki Sushi before and not liking it. I am not taking up for the place, but let me give you my thoughts.

A)We always sat at the sushi bar and made small talk with the Chefs while they fixed out stuff. Not to quote TF but if you become a regular of one particular sushi place, you tend to get better service and perks. We are always presented as we sit down a delicious cucumber salad with rice vinager and sliced oranges for dessert.

B) a few years ago, perhaps two, there was a change in ownership and or owner. Tony the sushi chef left, and the food was horrible!

C) about a year ago, we decided to return. Sat at the bar, made new friends again, and were pleased all over again.

D) portion size. I guess one of the reasons I like to go back there is that the rolls are smaller than the norm. I hate stuffing a too large roll in my mouth for a one bite thing. So if its too large, I have to bit it in half, which usually makes it fall apart.

With all the good I can say about it, I can tell you this: NEVER GO ON A FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. Don't know if the fish is not fresh, the chef's are tired or what, it is just not pleasent.

I am looking forward to trying your new place suggested in the near future.

Yvette
Yvette
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

SO had craving for sushi, so we decided to try China Blossom, partly based on reviews on this, and other, forums. It's located in the site formerly occupied by the all-you-could-eat pizza buffet (CiCi's IIRC) on Veterans. We were able to park right in front and when we entered there were only three or four tables of customers. The manager recognized my wife (they worked together over 20 years ago), and we chatted for a few minutes. After being seated, a server arrived within a couple of minutes to take our drink order and provide us with the warm finger towels (disposable versions). Without going into great detail, the service was attentive without being overbearing. We ordered a couple of standard rolls (Crunchy, Salmon avocado, and Crawfish) and a special (American Roll), along with Clear soup.
The Clear soup was one of the best I've had in quite some time. Usually, I have to add a bit of soy sauce to provide flavor and salt, but this soup was perfect as it was. The highlight of our order was the American roll - fresh, tasty, and well presented. I highly recommend it. The Crunchy roll was of good quality, but nothing special. The Crawfish roll, however, differed from what I find in most other sushi restaurants. While it did have a bit of spice, you could actually taste the crawfish, which is usually overrun by wasabi. The Salmon avocado is highly recommended. The texture of the fish and the avocado match so well that it is only by flavor that you can tell what you are eating. It literally melts in your mouth. And the complementary California roll was very good as well - nothing to write home about, but of good quality.
We were given a couple of salad samples that the sushi chefs make. One contains crabmeat, cucumber, and apple, and is quite pleasing and could be a great palate cleanser. The other, a tuna tartar over greens, was outstanding as well. A bit difficult to eat with chopsticks and it could have used a bit more dressing, but quite tasty.
We also sampled the Tempura Cheesecake. This was one of the best things that I think I have ever eaten!!!! We were both "stuffed" when it was brought out and figured, "Well, we'll just have a couple of bites" - Yeah right! I could have licked the plate..............
The prices here are very reasonable, and the food and service are more than acceptable, especially considering that they have only been open for about three weeks.
Overall, I'd rate China Blossom in the top five of sushi restaurants that we frequent. I'd easily put them in the same category as Sake, Kanno, and Kyoto 2, for quality and service. There are some outstanding dishes here, and the ones that I feel are nothing special, compare to the same at the other restaurants, hence - Nothing special. I look forward to returning and trying some of the other special rolls, as well as a Bento Box or two.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Nice review, Dilfan. It will definitely be on my list to visit soon.

Just a small note as not to confuse people of the location. Your memory is correct that it was a pizza place, but it wasn't a CiCi's, it was Primo pizza.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Had the pleasure of dining there last night. It has a nice interior that actually could be accented a bit more if they were to reduce the lighting a tad.
Our server, Joe (who knew the name "Joe" was popular in Indonesia? :D) was quite knowledgeable and attentive.
We started off with some soup and salad. I had the clear soup while my DC had the miso, her favorite. While I like miso soup, the clear soup blew me away. Very fragrant and comforting.
Next we split a sashimi salad. Mixed sashimi that had the texture of cerviche atop mixed green. There was a ton of sashimi on this and the salad was perfectly dressed.
Then we split a couple of specialty rolls, a Tiger roll and a Sunrise roll. I must say I was blown away by the presentation of the rolls on the same platter. Unfortunately, the pictures I took with the phone did not come out very well but the arrangement was art-like.
The Tiger roll consisted of spicy tuna and salmon and was topped with tuna, eel and salmon. This roll melted in your mouth. In contrast, the Sunrise roll (chopped spicy crawfish, asparagus and tempura flakes topped with tuna, yellowtail and whitefish) had a nice crunch to it.

We could have stopped there and walked out satisfied but wanted to try something else so we got their special, a Cherry Blossom roll. I'm not a big fan of mayo or cream cheese in sushi but Joe promised there wouldn't be much cream cheese in this (along with shrimp tempura and topped with snowcrab, tuna, whitefish, and salmon). This was good but the other two rolls were better.

I'm not a big dessert fan but since this was a late birthday dinner my DC insisted we get something. We were both intrigued by the red bean ice cream and it tasted just as it sounded. Not bad, but I probably wouldn't order it again.
Overall, a very nice dining experience.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.