JAG's Boyfriend is taking her to San Francisco

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
jeff h

Re: JAG's Boyfriend is taking her to San Francisco

Post by jeff h »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Yank Sing for deem sum.

i also had a great meal at A16...not sure the same chef is still there or not.
willifred

Post by willifred »

I've not been in a while, but I assume it is still there. The Hong Kong Flower Lounge just off the Millbrae exit, (2 exits away from the city) was once the generally considered best place for dim sum in the area. Not being in the city, it is not mentioned , and pretty much has a local following. The only way I went was several clients from SF/bay area turned me on. It is a huge place that is lit up like christmas (you know the rule of thumb, in the Asian culture the brighter the place the better the food). Everything from abalone to sharks fin soup....and tons of stuff you have no clue about. Assuming the timing is right, it's a great place to hit on your way for the return flight. I've finished up my SF dining experiences many times there.
Not as high profile as Danko or Mina, but many years ago Gregg Sonnier turned me on to a small place called Fringale. Gerald Hiregoian(sp) is the chef,he's Basque and according to Greg, he would rather sit at his table than anyone he can think of. Less than 50 seats, and everyone that works for him is in fact Basque. I love his food. Very clean and precise.
Back to Danko and Mina, I would rather dine at Boulevard myself.But when you get to that level of dining, it just comes down to personal taste in the entire experience. I've just had exceptional overall experiences there, where sometimes the other two can be a bit stiff.
Whatever you do, I'm sure you will have a great time. Hard not to in that town.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Had a great meal at Slanted Door on Embarcadero last year for my brother's law school graduation. Food was fantastic, though the raw oysters for $15 for 6 thoroughly opened my eyes on just how good our oysters are and just how lucky we are (yeah, yeah, another thread).

The food is Vietnamese/Californian, whatever the hell that is, but it was damn good and the view of the bay was nice too. I'll go back the next time we do.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I have eaten at the Mina restaurant at the MGM Grand and was totally unimpressed to the point that I probably wouldn't go to Aqua if I was given a free gift certificate.

Danko intrigues me. Mainly because I don't know much about him.

Has anyone been to the Plumpjack Cafe? I am looking at it for a lunch one day, assuming, you know, JAG wants to come with me.
willifred

Post by willifred »

bam bam wrote:I have eaten at the Mina restaurant at the MGM Grand and was totally unimpressed to the point that I probably wouldn't go to Aqua if I was given a free gift certificate.

Has anyone been to the Plumpjack Cafe? I am looking at it for a lunch one day, assuming, you know, JAG wants to come with me.
You may know this, but Michael Mina doesn't own Aqua anymore, his restaurant is now called Michael Mina's. Everything on his menu is triptics. Three interpritations of the same item. Might be OK but a bit of a gimmick to me. As your experience in Vegas.....unimpressed
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

bam bam wrote:I have eaten at the Mina restaurant at the MGM Grand and was totally unimpressed to the point that I probably wouldn't go to Aqua if I was given a free gift certificate.

Is that in SF?? I know I could have googled it but ....we stayed at the Carneros Inn (in Carneros :rolleyes:) and it was owned by Plumpjack and they had a cafe as part of the Inn but I don't know if it was a "Plumpjack Cafe" but it was very "Cracker Barrel".

We've been to Gary Danko 3 times and loved it every time. Great meals and the absolute BEST service I've ever experienced.
UptownKevin

Post by UptownKevin »

Here's some of my better rec's -

Slanted Door - Excellent food and a great wine list that pairs well. It changed the way I looked at wine and food (lots of German wines that pair perfect with the Asian-Fusion menu).

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company - Great Brew-Pub with excellent organic food. Menu leans toward Spanish tapas. One of my favorites.

Hog Island Oyster - great for happy hour. Suck down oysters with some wine or champagne and enjoy the sunset. On the water (near Slanted Door)

Coolest place for a late-night drink - The Moonlight Lounge at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. Seriously "screams" 1970's lounge, red velvet and all. 360 degree view of the city and is a great way to precede some cheesy p0rn-like sex in the hotel room later that evening.

Have a great time!

-Kevin
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

UptownKevin wrote:... a great way to precede some cheesy p0rn-like sex in the hotel room later that evening.

-Kevin
Um, I made him book separate rooms. In two different hotels actually. I'm not that kind of girl.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

2010 summer SF restaurant tour. Drop down menu has reviews w/pics.
http://www.chow.com/blog/2010/07/cave-m ... -but-chic/
Lives to Eat

Post by Lives to Eat »

I'll be at the game, too. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to wear my Saints beads with my Niners gear. You need to have garlic fries! The smell from people around you eating them will make you want them too! Not like they are all that great, but they do hit the spot~

Depending on what else you're doing, you may want to use public transportation to get to the game. It's lots easier and cheaper than driving. Here is some info on how to get there...http://www.49ers.com/stadium/directions.html

Quince was mentioned in an earlier post, but they have moved and are not the same as the original restaurant. It is really fine dining now (they even say it on Open Table) with lots of attention and expensive. I had been to the old location twice and really liked it...been to the new one once and won't be back. There are too many other restaurants in SF to spend your $$ on. For a dinner like that, I second the recs for Gary Danko.

I used to love Boulevard, but not so much any more...although they have a kitchen bar so you can watch the chefs. A16 also has a kitchen bar and Liza Shaw has been the chef since Jan. 2009. She was there the last time I went.

Daniel Patterson (of Coi) also has a small restaurant in the Ferry Building (which you for sure need to check out) called Il Cane Rosso. They have a 3 course dinner for $25 every night 5 - 9pm. Not large portions but very tasty food. I had breakfast there a few weeks ago.

And if you 're here on a Monday night, there is a fine dining restaurant called Jardiniere that has $45 three course dinners on Mondays. You can see the menu on their website. http://www.jardiniere.com/monday_menu.html

Let me know if you want to meet for drinks or a bite when you're here. It was two years ago when we went to the Pelican Club!:toast:
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food." George Bernard Shaw