Need your insights

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
NoNoNanette

Re: Need your insights

Post by NoNoNanette »

Which brings to mind The Bombay Club, Edible! Sexy private seating.

Had a steak there several years ago during a Reveillon dinner, and it was very tasty.

The martini menu knocks me out.... which is why I make it my LAST stop of the night! ;)

http://www.thebombayclub.com/

If nothing else, poke your head in the door. I love the place, Kass. Let us know what you end up doing. ENJOY! :toast:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Kass

Post by Kass »

Thanks for all your suggestions! Now I might have to put all the names in a hat and draw one out!!! We're from a small town south of Birmingham (Roll Tide), and we love New Orleans. Some of the steaks ya'll mentioned I've never heard of, nor seen on a menu in my neck of the woods. Namely, a skirt steak and a hangar steak. I need a lesson here; I don't want to miss out on a delicious steak just because I don't know what it is! Ya'll are probably shaking your heads at this poor old woman, so enlighten me.
Looking forward to a steak tutorial!
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Kass,

A hangar steak is my favorite cut. The best one in the city is at Lillete which is not a steakhouse but is best described as noveau french.

Here is a description of the hangar steak:

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/g/ghanger.htm

La Boca has an excellent one as well. It is a piece of meat that is definitely worth your effort to try, especially if you are unfamiliar with the cut. It is very difficult to find at the grocery store and like the above article somewhat tricky to prepare.
willifred

Post by willifred »

I agree with Bam...Hangar steaks are the most interesting steaks to have. If you are a filet person, you are in for a very pleasant surprise. There is more "grain" to the cut, and you have to do a bit more chewing, but the flavor that comes from that chewing is worth it.
I also think that La boca has the best one in town. For practical purposes, you can get the same steak at Rio Mar, and have the seafood option open for your companion (and you can get the tres leches for dessert there).
However,you will still have to deal with the noise problem. On certain nights it can be ok, on others it can be damn near impossible to enjoy your dining companion at all.
Lilette would be a much more romantic setting with a great steak. Crescent City Steaks is really old school (oldest in town I believe) with private booths that are very cool.
If you get your steak fix over, and want to do something very romantic, you should go to La Crepe Nanou. VERY cool little French place. No reservations...pretty much all locals. An if there are out of towners, the're pretty smart to be there in the first place. My go to place for a not too fancy "romantic date" place.
Kass

Post by Kass »

OK, after much thought and research, we are celebrating our anniversary at La Boca, 7:00 on Thursday the 8th. Anyone dining there come and say hello to the Robinsons.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

willifred wrote: I also think that La boca has the best one in town. For practical purposes, you can get the same steak at Rio Mar, and have the seafood option open for your companion (and you can get the tres leches for dessert there).
However,you will still have to deal with the noise problem. On certain nights it can be ok, on others it can be damn near impossible to enjoy your dining companion at all.
I actually think Rio Mar is way louder than La Boca. You can actually have pleasant dinner conversation at La Boca where I find Rio Mar to be extreemely loud. Ask for a table by the front window at La Boca when you make your reservation and you'll have a quieter space.

The hanger at Rio Mar is way different from the hangar at La Boca. It is indeed NOT the same steak. They are not even sourced from the same place. The one at Rio Mar is good, but the one at La Boca will knock your socks off.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
willifred

Post by willifred »

justagirl wrote:I actually think Rio Mar is way louder than La Boca. You can actually have pleasant dinner conversation at La Boca where I find Rio Mar to be extreemely loud. Ask for a table by the front window at La Boca when you make your reservation and you'll have a quieter space.

The hanger at Rio Mar is way different from the hangar at La Boca. It is indeed NOT the same steak. They are not even sourced from the same place. The one at Rio Mar is good, but the one at La Boca will knock your socks off.
I defer and bow to your superior information. I do have a bit of a problem with the concept that the steak at Rio Mar is THAT inferior. I have no doubt that you know about the sources, but these are very good restaurnaturs, and it makes no sense to use an inferior product when better is available. I also believe that on any given night, one place can be louder than the other. Just common sense.
Kass

Post by Kass »

We're home from NO, and all I can say about our anniversary dinner at La Boca is "Wow." We both ordered the hanger steak, and truthfully, it was the best steak we've ever had. He had a watermelon salad that he raved about, I had the tomato salad that I raved about, and we split an order of fries. Thank you Bam and Jag and others for recommending this restaurant. It was a wonderful dinner that made our 38th dinner so special. A little over a year ago, my husband had surgery for a brain tumor. So, to say that this celebration was special is an understatement. If you have a loved one, don't take any thing for granted, and never forget to tell them what they mean to you.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

How could you not like La Boca. I'm not even a steak fan and I love the place. Glad you had such a memorable evening!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Aww, thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. And many more to come :)
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."