Mondo

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
LiveOak

Mondo

Post by LiveOak »

Anyone been here yet? I live three blocks from it, but it's been so crowded I haven't gone yet. I'm thrilled to have Susan Spicer running a restaurant in my neighborhood.

The TP's food critic mentions it and three other new places. There is some not-so-subtle criticism of Tom in the comments under the article (I'm sure from some poster here).

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/20 ... ew_ea.html
buzd

Re: Mondo

Post by buzd »

LiveOak wrote:Anyone been here yet? I live three blocks from it, but it's been so crowded I haven't gone yet. I'm thrilled to have Susan Spicer running a restaurant in my neighborhood.

The TP's food critic mentions it and three other new places. There is some not-so-subtle criticism of Tom in the comments under the article (I'm sure from some poster here).

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/20 ... ew_ea.html
I've snacked at the bar. I don't remember what I had (I remember a few glasses of wine), but it was good. The menu is pretty eclectic. I'm excited about this place.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I haven't been yet. But one of the other restaurants mentioned, Meson 923, is fantastic. Don't wait 6 months on that one. The servers are still a bit sophomoric but the rest of the staff makes up for it. And the food is outstanding. Beautifully plated and tastes even better. IMO.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

justagirl wrote:I haven't been yet. But one of the other restaurants mentioned, Meson 923, is fantastic. Don't wait 6 months on that one. The servers are still a bit sophomoric but the rest of the staff makes up for it. And the food is outstanding. Beautifully plated and tastes even better. IMO.
and I generally find you have excellent taste (Bam is CLEARLY an aberration)
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
Blackened Out

Post by Blackened Out »

Went to Mondo two Saturdays ago. Place was packed to the rafters but after a careful watch, were able to snag two stools at end of bar. Menu is schizophrenic: Mexican street food, Thai food, Italian pizzas, homey roast chicken, etc...

Fried hominy would be perfect beer snack if it had been salted to the same level of say peanuts or prezels.

Thai shrimp and pork meatballs cooked on a sugarcane skewer were very good. Pizza crust was chewy and dense, but utilizes good toppings from around here.

Sure it has some growing up to do, but from my view, not sure I will ever crave such an eclectic arrangements of snack foods. Will go back and try the entrees, but until those crowds simmer down or they accept reservations for tables smaller than 5+ it is gonna be hard to test. Mondo will succeed, no doubt about that, and should you find yourself in that neck of those woods, stop in. It is a friendly, vibrant place with good food. Some more focus from the kitchen should help. But then again, it hasn't been open but a few weeks so take this report with a few grains of salt.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

From a local blog, review with pictures:

http://solidquarter.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... eview.html
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Thanks, Suzy. The pizza looks good. I love those blackened bubbles on the crust.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

LiveOak wrote:I love those blackened bubbles on the crust.
Pizza fanatics call that "leoparding".
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Pizza fanatics call that "leoparding".
slightly less affected pizza fanatics call those burnt spots ;)
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

My two cents,,, tried to make a reservation for this Saturday night. They don't take reservations unless its a party of 5 or more. Hello....I am not waiting outside in the heat or a crowded bar. 'enough said....I tried....not doing it.
Yvette