Eating in Florence

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Shep

Eating in Florence

Post by Shep »

Ristorante Da Mimmo, a restaurant on via san gallo in Firenze down the street from the b&b we were staying in. We took a chance on a Tuscan tasting menu for 2 at 30 euro each.
1st course:
salami(best I've ever had), mozzarella w/olive oil and ground nuts, crostini 2 types one with chicken livers and the others chopped tomato and arugula and sliced tomato w/olive oil, slices of Italian ham two different types.
2nd course
fresh ravioli filled w/ spinach and cheese, arugula and sliced tomato(again but really good again), cut pasta w/ bologanese(shredded beef in a red sauce).
3rd course:
Slices of Bistecca Fiorentina ( beefsteak 2 " thick medium rare), slices of veal in lemon juice then open grilled (very tender and simply outstanding in taste), fresh fried mixed vegetables lightly dusted potatoes, eggplant, zucchini.
4th course:
Grandmothers chocolate cake

Included was a liter of house chianti in a beautiful pitcher, which was an outstanding wine. I found the house wines in Tuscany restaurants mostly to be of very good quality, local wines they very much prided themselves on.
There basically is very little tipping in Italy because it is included in the prices, there is not even a place on the credit card bill to add a tip. We left euros in cash anyway and walked back to the b&b very, very full to sip wine on the roof top terrace of our place overlooking Florence. Life is very good and we will be back to Da Mimmos before we leave.
http://www.ristorantedamimmo.it/index.html
hungryone

Re: Eating in Florence

Post by hungryone »

Shep, get thee to Cibreo...the fine-dining ristorante if your pocketbook can take a hit, but know that the adjacent trattoria Cibreo (no reservations, go early to get a table) is MUCH less expensive and shares a kitchen (and many menu items) with the higher-end ristorante. I recall an ethereal parmesan sformata, excellent ribollita, incredible sausages & beans, meatballs...the trattoria has a few small tables & some family style seating.

And Nerbone, inside the Mercato Centrale in a back corner on the first floor, has great sandwiches, very cheap (tripe, beef, etc).
Shep

Post by Shep »

Ahh, this was two weeks in mid May and unfortunately did not make Cibreo. We are already making plans to return as this was a book only half read. We really fell in love with Italy and if things turn bad here I would live there and be happy. I find myself still eating things like prosciutto and melon that were so simple but, so good.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

When my son lived in Rome we visited. I've eaten in nearly all of the Western European countries and Italy is by far my favorite place. The food and wine are just not matched anywhere....IMHO.

Italy and New Orleans share a common trait, something I read recently about New Orleans but can't remember who to credit. Once you visit it gets in your DNA and will forever pull you back.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx