Crepe Nanou a bargain @ $43.50 per head

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Crepe Nanou a bargain @ $43.50 per head

Post by ratcheese »

I think this place deserves a mention on the boards. The quality of food last night, seemed to be an improvement over the last few times we were there; not that it was ever bad, but something has changed--they seem to have settled into a new management scheme.

The wait staff has changed/improved; service was excellent, still casual of course, but very attentive. Every table was full but there was not a line outside--just enough people to keep the hustle-bustle atmosphere on key.

The EuroBabes split the small mixed green salad which was far too large for its intended single serving of Butter Lettuce, fresh tomato, artichoke hearts, and hearts of palm. That salad is a bargain for its quality and artistically simple presentation. It is served with the house mustard vinaigrette and is plenty for two.

I started with escargot which gave me an excuse to work my way through an excellent baguette. I was the only one on wine so I ordered my standard White Bordeaux which I like with my standard sweetbreads entrée. (uhg, I've got to watch these routines as I age.) I assume it is Pouilly Fuisse. I have never bothered to ask--its good. :p

The sweetbreads were the best I've ever had there. The style had changed, I did not detect the usual mustard undertone and they were not sliced in their typical, thinner manner. Last night, they appeared to be broiled in a more natural state--trimmed somewhat, but not excessively, and served teetering on rare.

The girls both had mussels and pom frites--they were very happy.

For desert we had the recommended special ice cream of the night which was unmemorable, and a flambéed hazelnut crepe which was memorable--that's a good desert. They serve incredible coffee, btw.

For a grand total of $130, I don't know where else you can find that quality of food, service, and atmosphere, here in town. Add casual dress and easy access and its a winner. I think we're lucky to have it.

That's a total of:
1 Mixed Green Salad
1 Escargot
2 Mussels (entree size)
1 Sweetbreads
2 Desserts
2 Glasses of House Wine
2 Coffees

$110.xx plus $20 tip = $130.xx
Pas Bon

Re: Crepe Nanou a bargain @ $43.50 per head

Post by Pas Bon »

I find the sweetbreads entree to be a terrific bargain.