Grilling on Hibachis, BGEs, etc.

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Isabella Maja

Grilling on Hibachis, BGEs, etc.

Post by Isabella Maja »

Turbodog wrote:Did two 8 oz filets last night. I had bough tthem Friday, with a use orr freeze by 6/5 sticker. I salt and peppered them (sea salt and a 4 pepper blend that has replaced black pepper in my primary grinder), sprayed a little olive oil PAM spray on them and let them sit for about an hour to 90 minutes. Cooked them on a small cast iron hibachi (part of Ms. Turbodog's grill arsenal), over hardwood lump charcoal, for about 12 minutes total. Served with yellow rice with corn aND BLACK BEANS, GRILLED VEGGIES (COOKED ON A DIFFERENT GRILL, onions and eggplant), with salsa and crema. These steaks were like butter. Perfectly tender and very tasty. In the case, the beef stands alone. They did not need a sauce. Never been disapointed in Rare Cuts. Really nice people to deal with, too. I should add I bought a ribeye spinalis on Friday, which I cooked Saturday night with roasted mushrooms. Awesome steak. Expensive, but oh so good.
What kind of cast iron hibachi does she have & do you know where she got it? I had many over the years. Love 'em. Haven't had one in a while tho. The last one was of the ilk "they don't make 'em like they used to" and I haven't bought another since. Lodge makes one, with a much heftier price tag. Not sure if I want to spend that much on "just a hibachi" esp knowing that it will require lots more care. Let me know, will ya please?

BTW, both of your dinners sound really great! I'd love a homecooked meal now!
Turbodog

Re: Rare Cuts

Post by Turbodog »

Isabella, I will find out. she collects old cast iron and finds pieces in weird places. This is very nice for cooking a few small steaks or burgers. It might hold 4 filets or burgers. Maybe 2 ribeyes or strips.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Turbodog wrote:Isabella, I will find out. she collects old cast iron and finds pieces in weird places. This is very nice for cooking a few small steaks or burgers. It might hold 4 filets or burgers. Maybe 2 ribeyes or strips.
Thanks TD, I'd really greatly appreciate it.
That's exactly what I want to use it for... 2 ribeyes, 4 burgers, 6 chicken thighs. I'd start grilling again if I had a good one. For years, I'd use one 4-5 days a week.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Isabella Maja wrote:Thanks TD, I'd really greatly appreciate it.
That's exactly what I want to use it for... 2 ribeyes, 4 burgers, 6 chicken thighs. I'd start grilling again if I had a good one. For years, I'd use one 4-5 days a week.
Isa, you need a Mini Green Egg!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

hungryone wrote:Isa, you need a Mini Green Egg!
Yeah, you're reading my mind, Celeste.
I typed but erased, If I only had a BGE!

Problem is, if I had a MGE, I'd want a BGE!
Do you really think I'd be satisfied with a mini? Really?
I'm seriously asking you this question & anyone else who'd like to answer.

Generally, these days, because our house is still being repaired, I cook for 2, because I can't have anyone over (how's that for most commas in a sentence?). And for that matter, I just don't cook all that often because I'm mad at my kitchen for not being friendly.

Once the house is finished (and who the hell knows when that will be), I'll probably cook for 4-6. This does not include a kitchen remodel unless $ rains down from heaven.

Seriously, I hate getting something to tide me over. I'd rather just wait for the real deal. But I think Hungryone might be on to something.
Maybe I should get a MGE!
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Check out the ceramic hibachi. So much easier to maintain than cast iron.

I fell in love with ceramic when I had a BGE. I bet these little things are awesome. In fact, I may order one now. I think I will.

http://www.littlefire.biz/
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

ratcheese wrote:Check out the ceramic hibachi. So much easier to maintain than cast iron.

I fell in love with ceramic when I had a BGE. I bet these little things are awesome. In fact, I may order one now. I think I will.

http://www.littlefire.biz/
After use they want you to "wipe it out & put in original box.
Put on a shelf in the closet." Wow. I was almost sold til I read that.

You get one & tell us how you like it.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Isabella, the first link I posted, for the ceramic hibachi, came off an advert on a bbq forum I'm on. I tried to google for price comparisons but couldn't find them. Then when I browsed through the bbqguys.com link I posted, I noticed they have added them down at the bottom of the page, at a much cheaper price but an 8-12 week shipping wait for the rectangular model. (They didn't have them the last time I looked.)

Anyway, I used the name on bbqguys, Yakatori charcoal grill, and struck gold. They now have them at Amazon, Sears, and Kmart for $50, or so. The bad news is that this is a new item in this market and they may have to be ordered. But, I'm going to call around locally and see if can find them in-stock.

If you can pick one up locally for $50, I don't think you could beat that with any other tabletop grill. You would love ceramic, I promise. No rust, no fuss.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

ratcheese wrote:Isabella, the first link I posted, for the ceramic hibachi, came off an advert on a bbq forum I'm on. I tried to google for price comparisons but couldn't find them. Then when I browsed through the bbqguys.com link I posted, I noticed they have added them down at the bottom of the page, at a much cheaper price but an 8-12 week shipping wait for the rectangular model. (They didn't have them the last time I looked.)

Anyway, I used the name on bbqguys, Yakatori charcoal grill, and struck gold. They now have them at Amazon, Sears, and Kmart for $50, or so. The bad news is that this is a new item in this market and they may have to be ordered. But, I'm going to call around locally and see if can find them in-stock.

If you can pick one up locally for $50, I don't think you could beat that with any other tabletop grill. You would love ceramic, I promise. No rust, no fuss.
Let me know what you get. $50 is fine, but I don't like the idea of bringing it inside!
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

I tried to call Sear's and K-Mart in Metairie but I lost patience with them very quickly.

I ordered it from here for $59 + shipping $7, arrives in one week. Amazon usually has very good shipping. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... x=yakatori

Forget taking in the house. Its going to be much easier to care for than the others. In fact, all the nice qualities of a BGE like easy starting, long fuel burns, consistent temps, you won't even get with this little open hibachi. You buy it primarily for low maintenance.

The rectangular model is larger but you will probably get better heat from the round. I'm thinking maybe I should have gone round. Its mainly for me to throw something on last minute; my wife might eat a steak once a year and never a burger. Damnit, why didn't I go the round...