Grilling on Hibachis, BGEs, etc.

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
flyinbayou

Re: Grilling on Hibachis, BGEs, etc.

Post by flyinbayou »

crrush wrote:Huge difference between a WSM and BGE, for sure -- in weight, $$ and cooking style. I don't have experience on a BGE, and if I had the funds and space, I wouldn't mind tinkering around on one.
I investigated both the WSM and BGE. I have friends that own both and fight regularly over which is better. I must say the BGE crowds seems to be much like the Apple MAC crowd: very proud of their investment and almost cult-like. Not knocking it, but it's odd to me.

When I upgraded my smoker I went with the WSM, more for logistical reasons than anything. I use the smoker on an uncovered deck, a deck that I remove everything off of when a hurricane blows this way. It would be impossible for me to move a BGE into covered storage by myself. I couldn't see leaving it exposed to flying debris on the deck either. The WSM is manageable. I am having fun with it and learning as I go along. Even on my longer smokes I have not had to refill the very large coal pan.
BTW, the hibachi is intriguing.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Thread appropriate link, enjoy. :toast:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
crrush

Post by crrush »

ratcheese wrote:crrush, sounds like you're more into grilling than smoking. Insulation plays a huge roll in smoking. Not many bbq people cook on direct heat, its very inefficient and inconsistent. Good insulation in fireboxes and cookers make for prolonged, even burns, using very little wood/charcoal. But, you can smoke over direct heat with a BGE type Kamado for several reasons--low, sustained temps, insulated walls, convection type circulation, etc., which all serve to decrease the cooking time. You can actually smoke a good brisket on them. They are excellent examples of ancient clay oven design.
Au contraire -- with the WSM, I'm much more into indirect/smoking than grilling. Every cooker teaches, but as I said, I'm biased b/c I learned on the WSM for the book (then carried the techniques through to offset and kettle cookers). Now I DEFINITELY have to break it out this weekend for some ribs...
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I do all kinds of stuff on my BGE. I am not part of any BGE cult (hell, I don't even rea dtheir forum). However, I do love the pit. It takes some getting use to, and you can't do volume on it, but except for those things, its great. Did burgers (big and thick and juicy after 25 minutes) Sunday night and pork chops and corn last night (I cut the corn off of the cob after cooking it in the husk, silk removed, and put a jalapeno compund butter on it; great!).
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Turbodog wrote:I do all kinds of stuff on my BGE. I am not part of any BGE cult (hell, I don't even rea dtheir forum). However, I do love the pit. It takes some getting use to, and you can't do volume on it, but except for those things, its great. Did burgers (big and thick and juicy after 25 minutes) Sunday night and pork chops and corn last night (I cut the corn off of the cob after cooking it in the husk, silk removed, and put a jalapeno compund butter on it; great!).
Good grief! Can I wait til November?
Any news on the hibachi from your wife, TD?