The "New" Creole Tomato

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Jeeves

Re: The "New" Creole Tomato

Post by Jeeves »

Mrs. Fury wrote:.....You will probably be served by one of Paul's seven (or is it five?) daughters.
Paul has EIGHT daughters! LOL http://www.paulscafe.net/
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

hungryone wrote:
As for the cracks, don't over-romanticize the effect. It's just a healed-over split; tomatoes tend to crack a bit after heavy rains. They add nothing to the taste. Some varieties tend to crack more than others. I think the decline in taste is related to more intensive cropping and fertilizing. My all-organic backyard patch (only compost for fertilizer, no chemical pesticides) produces excellent-tasting fruit. I've purchased fruit of the same varieties grown by commercial sellers and experienced sub-par flavor.
I was addressing more of a nostalgia/reminiscing about the good ole days. Agree the cracks lend nothing to the flavor, but they were very deep, not just surface/heat cracks. Agree you are getting a fine crop. Beats anything in a grocery. My point was the change brought about because the old Creoles were not marketable, hence the Celebrity, Better Boys etc. started comming in in the late 60's. The current varieties cannot compare to the crops that were in the French Market, St. Bernard and Plaquemine in the 60's. The French Market was just crammed packed with tomato vendors during the season. There were dozens of roadside stands on the roads in Plaquemine. Couldn't sell them in stores, but the taste was completly different. Not nearly as "meaty", much more juice. And the size was unbelievable! Four could fill the top of a box. Many were double sized, almost like two tomatoes fused together. I used to feed everyone, having up to 65 plants one year. The double brought back the old flavors, and I was wondering if those, regrettably now "heirlooms" where available.

Enjoy the season!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Mrs. Fury wrote:You can get some next to Taco Bell in LaPlace on Airline. It's by the Home Depot. Don't tell anyone. :)
Thank ya, dawlin! I think a road trip is in order!
Is everything ok over at Jacob's, since the fire?

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

ratcheese wrote:When we lived out in the country, I used to be into heirloom watermelons. I found some really interesting companies specializing in heirloom seeds that usually have some interesting background on the seeds. You can still buy the seeds for the watermelon that won first prize at the 1845 State Fair of Somewhere, for instance. Cool stuff.
This was my first and only Google attempt @ heirloom seeds creole. http://store.tomatofest.com/Creole_p/tf-0129.htm
Found an heirloom creole onion that I'd not heard of either. Sounds nice. http://rareseeds.com/cart/index.php?p=p ... rsion=true
Thanks for the links. Creole Onions are really great! I made a 7 onion soup once with Creole Onions & it was heaven!
Heirloom watermelons sound great too. Ah, to transport back to 1968 would be a really sweet treat!
---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Schuarta wrote: I sorely miss your Creole Tomatoes, ripening on the window sill, with the occasional slit.

I too love the classic tomato sandwich - soft white bread, good mayo, iceberg - and occasionally crisp bacon slices! :o
Well, you COULD have retired to N.O., Art. :whip:

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

hungryone wrote: 2 cents more on tomatoes: they continue to ripen after picking. So let 'em sit at room temperature for a day or four after picking or purchase--the best flavor is at the slightly over-ripe point.
I couldn't agree with you more! That is my secret for tomatoes.
None of that hard rock stuff!
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

JAG and I had a creole tomato salad for dinner. Buffalo Mozz and some fresh basil. Shaved red onion and a reduced balsamic. Yum.
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Isa I have not been but I heard they opened the next day, I believe, or the day after.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Thanks Mrs. F. I used to have a client who lived in LaPlace.
She'd bring a sack of Ruston peaches each week when they were in season.
Why is it that y'all have great little produce trucks & stands?
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Isabella Maja wrote:Thanks Mrs. F. I used to have a client who lived in LaPlace.
She'd bring a sack of Ruston peaches each week when they were in season.
Why is it that y'all have great little produce trucks & stands?
Those are the only peaches hubby will eat. I have yet to see any but I have not been to all the stands either. The guy at the Gramercy exit is back. I need to check his truck.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Remember, PLEASE don't refrigerate your uncut tomatoes....
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

So true....refrige briefly only if you want them chilled right as you eat it.........they don't fair well in the frig...........