Wow - no one has posted here yet!

Don't Be Contrary, Mary. Tell Us About Your Garden.
Jerry

Wow - no one has posted here yet!

Post by Jerry »

I just noticed that no one had posted here yet.
I can't be the only gardener around here...

I'm growing papayas, bananas, green beans, basil, tomatoes and a few other herbs and veggies in containers and in the ground...

To get things rolling....where can I find chicken manure around Metairie?
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Low-N-Slow

Re: Wow - no one has posted here yet!

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Laughing Buddha on Clearview sells it in 20 lb. bags. I would expect Jeff Feed or a Double M would, as well.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

We have several tomatoes already on our plants and some are quite big. We are also growing various herbs.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I've got a big orange tree that was in the yard when we bought the house last winter. I want to start a garden, but I know I'm too late for this year. Hopefully all these little green oranges grow up to be delicious!
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

This is the first time in many years that we're not doing a garden. :(

I thought that one of those goofy "Topsy Turvey" tomato hangers might be fun, but jeez..... two of 'em for about 35 bucks, plus 7.95 shipping EACH. Screw that. :rolleyes:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

NoNoNanette wrote:This is the first time in many years that we're not doing a garden. :(

I thought that one of those goofy "Topsy Turvey" tomato hangers might be fun, but jeez..... two of 'em for about 35 bucks, plus 7.95 shipping EACH. Screw that. :rolleyes:
Dan Gill had a good laugh about those when asked his opinion.
JazzBoutique.net
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Jerry wrote:Dan Gill had a good laugh about those when asked his opinion.
But, but, Jerry............ THIRTY FIVE flippin' pounds of tomatoes per plant! :eek:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
praline

Post by praline »

DH and I lugged 800 lbs of soil to put in a raised bed vegetable garden. I've got tomatoes, peppers (bell and hot), eggplant, squash, cucumbers, and beans. Planted sunflowers for the kids. Herb garden has rosemary, tarragon (for the bearnaise!) mint, and 3 types of basil. I have several big tomatoes but I don't think my plants look healthy at all. Peppers are just coming in. Beans are vigorous and cucumbers are out of control. Good thing my daughter can eat her weight in them. If I actually get a decent yield from the garden I will double its size next year. I am really enjoying it. Need to enrich my soil though. Also have two orange trees with several oranges. They are still young though. Parents' backyard property line is lined with adult blood orange trees and they have a big fig tree. Sister's yard has a huge grapefruit tree that produces tons. She just lined her property lines with orange trees too and has many oranges coming up. Winter time is good eatin'!

Thanks for starting the garden thread Jerry!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

praline wrote:DH and I lugged 800 lbs of soil to put in a raised bed vegetable garden. I've got tomatoes, peppers (bell and hot), eggplant, squash, cucumbers, and beans. Planted sunflowers for the kids. Herb garden has rosemary, tarragon (for the bearnaise!) mint, and 3 types of basil. I have several big tomatoes but I don't think my plants look healthy at all. Peppers are just coming in. Beans are vigorous and cucumbers are out of control. Good thing my daughter can eat her weight in them. If I actually get a decent yield from the garden I will double its size next year. I am really enjoying it. Need to enrich my soil though. Also have two orange trees with several oranges. They are still young though. Parents' backyard property line is lined with adult blood orange trees and they have a big fig tree. Sister's yard has a huge grapefruit tree that produces tons. She just lined her property lines with orange trees too and has many oranges coming up. Winter time is good eatin'!

Thanks for starting the garden thread Jerry!
Okay...You guys win NOLAEats Gardeners of the Year!!!!!!!!!:toast::toast::toast:
JazzBoutique.net
praline

Post by praline »

Jerry wrote:Okay...You guys win NOLAEats Gardeners of the Year!!!!!!!!!:toast::toast::toast:
LOL, now ask me in a month if my plants are still alive! This is actually a test for me to see that if the time came, I could grow food for my family in case of a crisis. A Victory Garden per se. I'm hoping to have surplus veggies so I can learn to can them. But the way my tomatoes are looking, I think I'll be lucky to have any beyond the few that are on the plants now. Waiting for the fertilizers to kick in but it may be too late??? The beans and cucumbers - those I may be giving away the way things are looking, LOL.