Coyotes in Old Jefferson?

Furry, Feathery, Or Finny Friends
kcdixiecat

Coyotes in Old Jefferson?

Post by kcdixiecat »

Received this email from a neighbor earlier. I'll be watching my wienies a lot closer when they're outside.

Hi,
I live in the 300 block of Dodge Avenue and wanted to alert everyone in the area that a coyote killed one of my outdoor cats last week. I had no idea that coyotes came that far into the neighborhoods from the levee area. Please help notify neighbors about cats and small dogs. Thank you.
NoNoNanette

Re: Coyotes in Old Jefferson?

Post by NoNoNanette »

Unreal! I heard coyotes twice since we've been here (a couple months)... Mentioned it briefly to Dom, then blew it off thinking "no way"......

Yep.... I've heard 'em gang.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

BTW: Dom sez: "If they're sick, they might want to come around...so, be careful." (In Poplarville we have "Coy=Dogs". They have no fear of humans.)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

That's bizarre, I didn't even know we had any around these parts. But then again, the wife and I didn't think we had raccoons Uptown until we spotted them the other night! Who do these critters think they are, invading OUR habitat, LOL!!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

In the past month, the coyotes around Reno have been going nuts, baying throughout the night. On a "loud night", I can stand outside and hear responses from four distinct directions.

And I lost my cat Tiger to one, Fathers Day, 2007.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

A friend of mine would occasionally get a call to take coyote orphans in past years. They usually came from the river side of the levee in - you guessed it - Old Jefferson.
BTW, coyotes are known to be very smart.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

I didn't know we had coyotes. I used to live near the river end of Central and never heard one.
Are there deer over there too? Leaving Vicksburg last week, there were three deer (a doe and two babies) in the street as I left my sister's house. She said she has seen as many as 7 at a time in her yard. They are cuttiing down more and more of the woods around her and the poor things have no where to go. Guess hunting season will thin the herd though.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

I've had many a raccoon feeding in my pond in Old Jeff. They got all my koi and fan tails, bastards.
First I hear of the coyotes. Thnx KCDC. We have two cats that like to lay about the deck when they're not in bed or eating. Will be on alert for Wile E.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

We had a raccoon in our garage last fall and Ernie cornered an armadillo in our breezeway this past summer. This week the lizards are going nuts on our patio and breezeway...the wienies are on high alert!
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Dom heard some coyotes last night.... (I think he thought that I was crazy when I told him that they were packing a couple of months ago) :)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."