Interesting Observation

Help and Answers To Your Forum Questions
Admin

Interesting Observation

Post by Admin »

We browse using Firefox, and typically have between 8 and 12 tabs open simultaneously, viewing various favorite websites. We had noticed, in recent weeks, that browser performance was more laggy than expected, even in tabs other than TOB*. Pages in any given tab would appear to fully load, but navigation and scrolling would be impeded for several seconds afterward. We also noticed, in our Windows Task Manager, that Firefox was using resources in excess of 524MB of a total 2GB of computer RAM. We wondered what would happen if we closed Firefox, and opened it with 10+ tabs not including TOB. Guess what? We've been running for about 6 hours now, and our usage is currently only 124MB, and no lag.

(*The Other Board)
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

No kidding? That's veeeery interesting. Something in their software is glitching... using way too much memory.

It's weird though, I haven't really experienced that drag over there. I know everyone's been complaining about it.... however, I never leave that window open. When I'm done with reading, I shut it down.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Admin

Post by Admin »

JudiB wrote:No kidding? That's veeeery interesting. Something in their software is glitching... using way too much memory.

It's weird though, I haven't really experienced that drag over there. I know everyone's been complaining about it.... however, I never leave that window open. When I'm done with reading, I shut it down.
That could have been to your advantage. An associate of ours ran an analyzer on both main site pages and forum site pages, and reported that, while there were no outright errors, there were 240+ and 140+ "warnings", respectively, of bad programming code in use per page.
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

Admin wrote:An associate of ours ran an analyzer on both main site pages and forum site pages, and reported that, while there were no outright errors, there were 240+ and 140+ "warnings", respectively, of bad programming code in use per page.
That's must be one of the "undocumented features" of that software!:eek:
It's unfortunate for them on "TOB" that management feels because it's free, it must be better than what they had to begin with. Before I retired, I spent 25+ years in Federal IT, and I can assure you that, while open source is not necessarily bad, the potential to be awful is definately there. There are a lot of good open source products out there, Firefox, Opera, AVG, etc., but I would never stake my livelyhood, or business, on them. Too many people have access to the source code and kernal, making it too easy to corrupt.
Just my .02 worth........
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
Admin

Post by Admin »

The previous two packages, SMF and phpBB were also free.

Further observation shows IE7 even worse: different machine, 4 tabs open, one is TOB, memory usage currently 738MB for iexplore.exe.