time to ditch DSL?

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
buzd

Re: time to ditch DSL?

Post by buzd »

A couple of things - Cox has been going through some internal upgrades over the past few months which have really been affecting speeds at peak times (primarily prime time). Not enough to really affect browsing, but it will affect downloads.

Cox relies on Entergy power, while DSL does not (so no power = no cable). This is a problem after storms (and also why I have DirectTV, which can run off of a generator).

Other than that, Cox tends to have lower latency (response times, lower=better) than DSL, as a general rule. That's really only important if you're doing something with a real time connection (like video conferencing), but it's worth noting.

With all that said, I've been reasonably happy with Cox. I would love to go fiber, but I'm not giving up DTV to get UVerse.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gourmondo wrote:I am told U-verse is unavailable for me at this point, so I am inclined to roll the dice on Cox. I am aware of all the horror stories, but actually their cable connection is very reliable for me, much more so than the ATT Internet. If the U-verse option becomes available later, I'll take a look at it. I'd rather not have to change anything. Hell, I still have a landline phone. Creature of habit - ATT loves this I'm sure.

We've had Cox for TV and Internet at our place in Florida for years and it is pretty reliable there, but we don't use the Internet there as intensively as at home.
I think you will be satisfied with the cable modem despite my above horror stories. As for the land line - I keep mine as well. The cellular companies are having issues right now with the number of towers they have. It is not really noticeable on the south shore but they are all running the bare minimum to get by. It is noticeable on the north shore. One strong hurricane and mobile phones will be useless. I keep a landline just for that reason, and for the DSL. Most of the time the landline is unplugged - lol.
Sine qua non
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

So, made the switch today (installs at 9 AM Sunday - this I liked) and so far so good with the cable modem. Getting around an average of 12.5 on the download compared with 3.5 with DSL (was paying for 6). We'll see how it all pans out over time.