Learning Chinese

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
BobRSnow

Learning Chinese

Post by BobRSnow »

Hey, does anyone know where one can find a program to learn Chinese and learn about culture & customs here in the nola area...in the summer?
Thanks.
bdavid

Re: Learning Chinese

Post by bdavid »

In terms of the language, if you don't have a personal contact who will immerse you, Rosetta Stone is your best bet. It's not cheap, though.
Dilfan

Post by Dilfan »

As bdavid said, "It's not cheap", but before I went out to buy it, I'd check to see if it was available in the library.
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I hate to be the pessimist, but I want to be the realist. Based on much neurolinguistic study, a physiologically mature adult can only learn a new language in the left hemisphere. As a baby learns he will pick up the language in the right hemisphere where it becomes known as the automatic area of the speech center. That means that you must learn by practice. And considering the number of words and differenent dialects you have an uphill battle.

Even if you have a natural intellectual gift for language, you will have an extremely difficult time with Chinese. And without total immersion it will be all but impossible.

My company has hired and expat who lives in Shenzhen (South China Sea area). He's been there 4 years, totally immersed. In the last year he has finally been able to have minimal conversations (taxi, restaurant, how's the weather type).

If your goal is to pick up simple sayings such as "bring the check, take me to the hotel, show me where the western toilet is" then I think you will be successful. Notice that these are all directives. Ask a question and your head will hurt.

Learning the culture will be a little easier if you have a good, honest teacher.

I base this info on having a linguist in the family and my many trips to South China.

YMMV
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

Tulane has Chinese classes, you can probably pay to audit the class. You may be able to find someone willing to tutor you, too. I've done that in the past because it fits my learning style. You could inquire at Tulane's Dept. of Asian Studies or even a high school teacher like Kathy Li at Newman. Sometimes grad students will tutor for a few extra bucks. Another resource is churches like the New Orleans Chinese Baptist and Chinese Presbyterian churches. You can find them online.

Tonal languages like Chinese, Thai, etc. are tough for most Westerners. Very small differences in tone can completely change the meaning of a word. I once tried to tell someone in Thailand that I was a doctor, but told them I was horse instead. Roars of laughter ensued. Have fun!
#7 throw away to do list.

Post by #7 throw away to do list. »

dont want to pile on, but mandarin is virtually impossible to learn.
BobRSnow

Post by BobRSnow »

Thank you for your advice. I may contact the school and church. I contacted Tulane, but there is no summer program. I may have an opportunity to go to Shanghai later this year. I would have English speaking people around me, so I wouldn't be in a bind.
I would hope to learn to say hello and thank you and such phrases. I want to learn some customs so these pepole would see that I cared enough to learn something about their ways. Thanks again.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:If your goal is to pick up simple sayings such as "bring the check, take me to the hotel, show me where the western toilet is".......
What, in the world, is a Western toilet?
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Gourmondo

Post by Gourmondo »

Jeeves wrote:What, in the world, is a Western toilet?
The kind we use, that you can sit down on, as opposed to an Asian pit toilet, i.e., "squat and drop". Put it on your bucket list, Jeeves!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

BobRSnow wrote:Thank you for your advice. I may contact the school and church. I contacted Tulane, but there is no summer program. I may have an opportunity to go to Shanghai later this year. I would have English speaking people around me, so I wouldn't be in a bind.
I would hope to learn to say hello and thank you and such phrases. I want to learn some customs so these pepole would see that I cared enough to learn something about their ways. Thanks again.
If you just want to know basic phrases, taking a course is overkill unless you just want to do it. Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur are good products if you go that route. Because of the tones, if you can work with a native speaker for even part of it, it would probably be worth it. If you need a contact at the Chinese church, I can refer you to someone I know - PM me.

Chinese is tough but you can learn a little if you work at it!

Gourmondo - former foreign language major!
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Jeeves wrote:What, in the world, is a Western toilet?
Saddle horn and pistols?