Is the Steve Zahn character on Treme...

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
LauraMc

Re: Is the Steve Zahn character on Treme...

Post by LauraMc »

I had a sneaking suspicion that the Sonny character was modeled after the guy who cooked his girlfriend.
I wasn't in the Quarter much or even around much after Katrina (had to work in Houston for 10 months) but some of your views seem to be through rose-colored glasses. I could so see NOPD harassing a musician if they bumped against their car. And not so much a post-Katrina thing as the way it has always been. And I knew people in the Lower Garden District in the 90's who got nabbed for smoking pot while just hanging out on the corner.
When I drove up to WalMart in Harahan after 8 weeks, I was confronted by 6 National Guardsmen with guns drawn because I drove up to ask if they knew what was open. And let's not forget that they were repeatedly told not to keep their guns raised.
In Houston, there were people trying to "out New Orleans" all over the place. If another evacuee heard you were from NOLA, it was like a challenge. I was told by more than one person that I shouldn't say I was from New Orleans since I've only been here since 1987.
I'm not saying Treme is exactly New Orleans but it's closer than any other show has come.
bam bam

Re: Is the Steve Zahn character on Treme...

Post by bam bam »

The scene where Antoine plays his bone for the Japanese benefactor. My eyes are still wet. I am going to be verklempt this week. Just beautiful. Well done, Mr. Simon. Well done.