HELP! Where to Send a Bluegrass Band?

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
Jerry

HELP! Where to Send a Bluegrass Band?

Post by Jerry »

An old friend in Corpus Christi has graciously given my name and phone number to a young group of 4 bluegrass musicians known as the Brown Chicken Brown Cow String Band.

They are very good...having played gigs on Maui and Texas.
Listen here:

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openThe ... akeyourown

They are on their way here from Texas and supposed to call me tomorrow about where to go/stay/play, etc.
I haven't a clue.
Any ideas?
Rock 'n Bowl?...Somewhere uptown?....Help Please!
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Blue Cross Sux

Re: HELP! Where to Send a Bluegrass Band?

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

Bluegrass doesn't garner the respect it deserves in NO. So even if they find a spot, it won't pay much at all. I can only speak for Orleans Parish, but I'd suggest DBA, Balcony Music Club, Checkpoint Charlie's, Spotted Cat (basically hit everything on Frenchman), Carrollton Station, Le Bon Temps Roule, Old Point Bar, River Shack, Kerry Irish Pub, and maybe a few others. Bear in mind most of those venues are already booked a month or so in advance.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

The only regular spot with a weekly Bluegrass night that I recall lately is the Hi Ho Lounge at 2239 St. Claude. Sort of an open mike and pickin party.
http://neworleans.citysearch.com/profil ... ounge.html

If the have any PR material, they can send into Old Point, though I don't recall seeing any real Bluegrass there, they may squeeze a booking.

If they want to talk to someone that knows the Bluegrass scene in these parts, they can go on WWOZ website and contact Hazel (Schlueter) the Delta Rambler. She does a 2 hour Sunday Bluegrass & Olde Time Music show from 10 a.m. till noon.
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

Right, Hi Ho. Although I think that's more of a bluegrass open mic thing. It's Monday or Tuesday nites. Chickie Wah Wah also used to have a regular BG nite and may still.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

The Brown Chicken Brown Cow String Band has been in town for a week or so now and they are booked at Check Point Charlies April 2nd.

I haven't heard from them but heard that they were doing street gigs...check them out if you can.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net